Tuesday 14 August 2007

New Strategy

Corned beef diet, only kidding!! I've been reading an e-book called 'Burn the Fat, Feed the muscle' which preaches (amongst other things) the merits of increasing muscle density to help burn more calories even when at rest. So, thats what I've been doing these last two weeks - weight training that is! I've a small set of weights in the garage but no bench so have been limited to training the arms and shoulders. Back offshore tomorrow though, so I'll have the full range of equipment available to give me a thorough beasting. I haven't neglected the cardio work by any means, the new bike has had a bit of a hammering with over 100 miles this trip - no great shakes by regular cyclists standards but a good start all the same.
Been training the abs almost daily, currently following the 8-minute abs program - dropped quarter of an inch this trip.

The scales don't reflect the good work I've been - haven't dropped an ounce, hopefully due to the weight training but most probably due to the excesses of entertaining visitors and attending golf outings!! I've also been skimping on the 5-a day and had had nothing like the amount of water I should be drinking, must try harder.

So, my new strategy is fat loss rather than weight loss. I'm gonna hammer the weight training but also maintain plenty of cardio with the rowing and cycling. The net result will be a slower weight loss and most probably a revised target as my muscle density increases. I'll be concentrating on my body fat monitor rather than the scales from now on as this should give a more realistic view of any progress. Current body fat is 31.4%, target is 16%. For more on body fat percentage, go here
More tales of lard in a fortnight.

3 comments:

David Hall said...

Keep that cycling up boy!!!

x

David Hall said...

Hoo lad

If you can be bothered, I've tagged you again, read the blog. Geddit sorted!

x

Ken said...

You too can have a body like me.
Burn that blubber.

Get busy